Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

If my son gets incarcareted for non-child support. Can he lose his rights to his daughter

Asked on 1/27/10, 9:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Lambert The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert

Doubtful, but legally possible. There would have to be a motion filed and a hearing had first, so it is not something that would just be done behind his back. The courts will jail him for refusing to pay his child support, though. Additionally, they can and often will suspend any and all licenses he has with the state, including driving licenses, hunting & fishing licences, business licenses, etc., as long as he is in arrears. He needs to make a concerted effort to come current, even if that means having his own wages garnished. The good thing about wage garnishment (if there is a good thing about if for him) is that, so long as the wages are being garnished, he can't be held in contempt for nonpayment, even if he is still very far behind.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/10, 1:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana