Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Unlimited Power of Attorney

One of my Grandmothers oldest sons had three documents; (( 1) Unlimited Power of Attorney, 2) Declaration of Living Will, and 3) Appointment of Representative to make health care decisions), drafted for my Grandmom with out her permission.

Each document gives him sole and unlimited power. My Grandma read the documents and isn't interested in signing them. However, her son is using his other brothers to try to force my Grandma to sign the docements.

We want to know what document/s do we need to execute to prevent her son from attempting anything?

Can you please help us ASAP?



Asked on 9/10/08, 1:36 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: Unlimited Power of Attorney

I guess you can get your own set of documents but should the son succeed in getting her to sign his set, then that set of docs would be controlling. It is very hard to "prevent a son from attempting anything" to do with his mother, except by getting a temporary restraining order and convert it into a permanent injunction. But then, your grandmother would have to do that. Why can't she simply ban her sons from her dwelling and if they show up, call the police. You have no right to stop the sons from doing anything unless she lives with you. And, where is your dad or mom who is the child of your grandmother?

Read more
Answered on 9/10/08, 8:31 am
Johm Smith tom's

Re: Unlimited Power of Attorney

The cheapest way to handle this is to have your grandmother simply not sign anything her son drafted and you could even have her sign something in front of a notary confirming that she doesn't want him to have those documents/powers.

Read more
Answered on 9/10/08, 9:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana