Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Louisiana

Good Morning. I live in Louisiana and I recently did some home repairs for one of my first cousins and her husband. We did not sign any formal contract but we had a discussion about how much I would charge and I told them between $2000 and $2500. Well I was paid approximately $900. well decided to contact them and request the remaining balance of $1100 since I decide to only charge $2000. I was told that they do not owe me any more money and I need some advice on how to go about getting what's owed to me. Any advice would be appreciated

Asked on 5/25/18, 5:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Lambert The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert

You can file a small claims suit in the City Court or Justice of the Peace Court having physical jurisdiction over their address (where the work was performed). You can sue for up to $5,000.00 and you don't need a lawyer. Just go down there and fill out a claim. The process is pretty quick and not terribly expensive. Loser pays court costs in small claims usually, but you will have to pay those costs up front first.

You MAY also qualify to file a "labor and materialman's lien" on the property, which is quick and cheap and a powerful tool, but I can't advise you on that, given the scant information provided. That can be risky, because if you do it improperly you could be liable for damages. If you are interested in that route, you need to consult an attorney in person.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/18, 11:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Louisiana