Legal Question in Family Law in Maine

My fiance just found out when an ex-girlfriend called his parent's house that he is the father of her 5 year old. What can we expect legally if this is not an attempt on her part to get back with him (she's recently divorced) and what are his options to be sure he is or is not the father?

Asked on 5/14/13, 11:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Hall Qua, Hall, Harvey & Walsh

He should consult with an attorney. The attorney, after reviewing all the facts, likely would recommend that he request a DNA test. If he is the father, he should expect to pay approximately 25% of his income in child support. He also should see who is listed as the father on the birth certificate.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/13, 12:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maine