Legal Question in Consumer Law in Maryland

My boyfriend's truck is in his and his ex-wife's name. She wants her name removed from the truck as she wants to buy a new car. Mind you, the other car they had in their name, a Honda Accord was repoed after they separated and she took that car and stop making payments on it. He kept the truck and has made monthly payments but now his credit is totally screwed because of the repoed Honda. We tried to get the truck in both of our names because my credit is excellent but b/c of his credit they won't accept us.

Now my question is as follows: If he leaves her name on the title and once it’s paid off, can she sue him for half the truck and force him to sell it for the money? That’s my concern because I know she’s going to be pissed off that he couldn’t get her name off the truck and she knows how many payments are left because she called the creditor herself (they spoke to her cuz she’s on the title). She wants her name off because she wants to buy a new car and couldn’t because of her income to debt ratio. Since her name is on the truck they wouldn’t approve her application.

This is his only vehicle, he has 3 sons and only form of transportation. He still has 20 payments to go but we wanted to know. Thank you.

Asked on 10/17/11, 1:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

Your boyfriend has to look at the divorce decree. This document controls his rights and responsibilities. I assume both of them had lawyers to discuss the title and loan on the car.

If he needs an attorney to review the decree, I am available to do so in my office.

4800 Hampden Lane

Suite 200

Bethesda, MD 20814


Read more
Answered on 10/18/11, 11:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Maryland