Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Maryland

23 years ago, my in-laws provided $10,000 to assist my wife and I to put a downpayment on our existing house. Since, then the in-laws got divorced and the mother-in-law recently brought up repayment of the down payment 'loan'. My wife and I were never under the impression this was a 'loan' as no loan agreement was put in-effect or agreed to by any of us. Is there any recourse that the mother-in-law can request repayment of this money with any interest charges?

Asked on 2/20/13, 5:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brett Weiss The Weiss Law Group

It is likely that any applicable statute of limitations has run on any claim she might have. This will not prevent her from suing you, however. If she does, be certain to hire a lawyer to file an appropriate answer and a Motion to Dismiss. If a default judgment is entered, the age of the debt is irrelevant.

Read more
Answered on 2/20/13, 7:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Maryland