Legal Question in DUI Law in Maryland

I recently attended an underage party,was not drinking and received a citation. My name was misspelled on the citation and address incorrect. Should I contact the agency regarding the errors?

Asked on 4/29/12, 9:32 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

No, because you do not want to help the state schedule a case that the court might not be able to schedule otherwise. If the court clerk does not have enough information, he or she might not set a date. In effect, you might never have to deal with the charge. If you identify yourself for the state, then the court would require you to appear and answer the charge. Instead, periodically check Maryland Case Search for your citation. In this way if a court date is scheduled, you will know about it and avoid a warrant. However, you would not inadvertantly help the state fix its problem.

If you do have a court date, then get an attorney as soon as possible.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/12, 10:22 am
Jason Cleckner Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC

I agree, keep an eye on Case Search. You can link to the site from my website, Once you see your name in the system, it will have a case number, which you can then use to do an address change if you wish.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/12, 11:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Maryland