Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

I am a social worker with a question about a client's circumstances. My client has Huntington's Disease, a neurological disorder in which motor impairment, cognitive impairment and emotional impairment all become progressively worse. My client has poor judgement regarding her two boys 8 and 14. The biological grandmother of the younger boy is willing to seek custody of the boy. The father of the boy is incarcerated for another year and a half. What steps does the grandmother need to take to get custody of the younger boy? The mother, my client, has verbally agreed that this should happen and has visited the boy at the grandmother's house. The grandmother is trying to enroll the boy in school, but the school says the mother has to do it. The mother may be able to do it, but she will need to give up custody to someone probably within the next year because she will be incapable of caring for herself, much less two children. How do I help the grandmother to get custody?

Asked on 7/30/13, 11:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

This might be a situation where temporary guardianship would be a quicker and less costly alternative to full custody. You need to consult with an experienced family attorney about this. There are pro bono attorneys available for this if the client income qualifies. Check with your county bar association about this.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/13, 12:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland