Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maryland

My mother's home sold in foreclosure due to a tax lien in Baltimore City. I'm not being contacted by several asset recovery service providers about helping to reclaim the significant proceeds from the sale (approximately $25K-$35K). I need some help in reclaiming these funds without agreeing to anything unfair as I do not understand this process.

Asked on 12/09/16, 7:47 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Ayodeji Badaki The Badaki Law Firm, LLC.

You are right to be concerned. The process can be somewhat complex and it is advisable for you to have legal counsel to help with this. Feel free to call (240-329-4616) or email me to discuss.

Read more
Answered on 12/09/16, 8:50 am
Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

As the other attorney noted, it may be wise to have legal counsel.

While there are procedural hurdles, the process need not be terribly complex -- Basically when someone buys property at tax sale, they set a purchase price that they will pay for the property. The tax sale purchaser pays the full price to the county after they go through a court case to foreclose the right of redemption. When the purchase price is higher than all the taxes and fees owed, there is a "surplus" left over. By law, the owner (or mortgage company) has a right to ask for this surplus. In some cases this amount can be significant.

Rather than paying an "asset recovery" person (who cannot represent in court if anything needs to be filed in court) it would be wise to seek legal counsel. While I hope this information helps it does not offer legal advice or any kind of promise to represent.

Read more
Answered on 12/09/16, 9:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maryland