Legal Question in Traffic Law in Maryland

I was recently charged with driving with a suspended license in Maryland apparently due to an unpaid traffic violation in another state. I was unaware of the suspension and the state of Maryland never sent me notice. I have a fairly clean driving record (two MD tickets in 11 years) and I'm a local business owner who spends most of my time in the car and would never knowingly risk that over a $125 unpaid fine. My question is, should I get a lawyer to represent me and how big of a benefit would that be to my case?

Asked on 2/16/13, 2:37 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Your argument to the Court always sounds better when spoken by a lawyer as an explanation, rather than as an excuse from yourself.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/13, 4:13 pm
Scott Athen, Esquire Law Offices of Scott C. Athen, P.C.

There may also be other defenses in your case. Police officer routinely charge the incorrect version of the Driving While Suspended (DWS) Statute. Many Assistant States Attorneys don't even know the nuances of the DWS laws.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/13, 8:17 pm
joseph owens OwensLaw

The answer of whether you need a lawyer is a complicated one. In all fairness many cases can be pled by the accused themselves - - - especially traffic issues. With that being said, many state attorneys will not even talk to an accused. Of course, this is a misinterpretation of the their ethical obligations. I would be happy to discuss your case with you.

Joseph Michael Owens


10 East Mulberry Street

Baltimore, Maryland 21201

Toll Free: 1-855-693-6752

Local: (410) 246-2152

Cell: (910) 988 1317

Read more
Answered on 2/17/13, 8:56 am
William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

Consider whether you know the law, procedure, rules of evidence, prosecutor, and the judge, well enough to risk having a conviction and possibly having to serve time. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, elocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/13, 6:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Maryland