Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

how do I leave my 401 and assets to my brother without him loosing his SSI benifits ?

Asked on 7/24/10, 4:32 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lesly Longa Longa Law P.A.

Whether a person gets SSI depends on their income and assets. You can see what the government will consider income on the SSA.GOV website and speak with your estate planning attorney about these issues, but SSI is for people with both low income and a disability. Good for him if one day he no longer needs it.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/10, 10:26 am
Richard Abraham Abraham & Bauer, LLC

Your brother probably needs a Special Needs Trust to hold the proceeds from the 401k. SSI is resource capped in terms of what he can own. Your estate could also be named as the 401k beneficiary with the 401k proceeds distributed to it. Your Will should then have a testamentary SNT.

Read more
Answered on 7/26/10, 5:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland