Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

MD If I am remainder man and the liv life estate rec is dead, but the home is in tax sale, but I can't pay tax, can I get deed in my name and sell it so I can pay taxes? Will made in VA but filed in MD. Aunt never agreed to sign off on life estate and moved out yrs ago and drug dealers moved in and I couldn't get them out so I stopped paying taxes and now it is too much and I don't have it.

Asked on 9/21/14, 5:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

If the life estate tenant is dead, the deed would automatically be "in the name of" the remainderman. No matter how the title is structured failing to pay taxes will result in tax sale.

You are strongly encourage to seek legal counsel to look at the deed in question and advise you accordingly.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/14, 3:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland