Legal Question in Business Law in Massachusetts

How do I get any money at all from defendant after judgment?

 Seekonk, MA | 2 minutes ago

In 2009 I was forced by the court in Massachusetts to take a $25,000 settlement in my civil case even though I never signed settlement papers and specifically told my lawyer I wanted to go to court even up to the day before our court date was scheduled.. My lawyer and the defendants lawyer made a settlement behind my back without notifying me. The check I was later forced to accept "bounced". I have not received a penny in all this time. I recently found out that the 12% interest starts from the day I entered my plea to the court in 2004 and not from the judgment in 2009. Is this correct? Also, is there any way I can get any money at all from the defendant when he owns a million dollar home along with other property? I put a lean on his home and another piece of property, but I found out recently that while we were in civil dispute he had three other properties as well that he took his name off of so I could not put liens on them. Is this legal? If not what do I do about it?

Asked on 8/01/16, 3:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Graves Coolidge & Graves PLLC

This question is posted in the wrong category; you need a litigator not a business lawyer. Settlement without your consent would be an ethical violation by your (former?) lawyer. There are lawyer referral services available (Mass Bar Association has one) and I would urge you to find a qualified litigation attorney in your local area.

Best wishes,


Read more
Answered on 8/02/16, 6:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Massachusetts