Legal Question in Education Law in Massachusetts

I really need some advice. My 9 year old goes to MA public school and the school changed his teacher WITHOUT informing me or getting my permission? I'm extremely upset and need to know how I should go about this, what are my rights, can a school get a way with doing this without parental consent? They never said a single thing to me, they never mentioned any issues going on nothing zip. I want to really call the school and yell but I wont do that without knowing my rights and getting all my ducks in a row first. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Asked on 2/16/17, 5:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Baron Law Office of James M. Baron

Technically, the school district determines personnel, and this is what they appear to be doing. There might be a legitimate reason for the change, such as teacher health or disability, or shifting teachers around because another teacher is out long-term. However, just because they CAN do something does not mean that they should do it, especially without working with you, or even notifying you about the change until after the fact. When two parties are working well together, they will be communicating, but that did not happen here. You might want to ask to speak with the principal, and very calmly explain your concern and disappointment about the lack of communication and input from you before such a change was made. You could then ask why the change was made.

Also, is your child on an IEP? If so, this raises a whole slew of questions about teacher credentials, qualifications, whether the teacher is aware of and following the IEP, whether your child is still receiving a Free, Appropriate Pubic Education (FAPE), what impact a change in teachers will have on the child, etc. You might want to consult with an attorney on this.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/17, 8:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in Massachusetts