Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

Absentee Divorce

I have a friend from Massachusetts who is moving to Australia..while here she wishes to file for divorce..there are no custodial or property will be an uncontested no fault divorce..she has been told she must return to court in Massachusetts for the divorce question it would be quite expensive to return just for a divorce hearing..surely there must be a provision where it can be granted without her actual presence..thankyou

Asked on 4/16/01, 5:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

Re: Absentee Divorce

If your friend hires a lawyer, the lawyer can represent her in court. The lawyer should file a motion in advance asking to excuse her presence.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/01, 7:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts