Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

Child Support

I recently am engaged to a divorced man with 2 children. His yearly gross income is 47,000. His ex's income last year was 11,660. He pays $300 a week in child support. After taxes, he takes home a total of $287.00 a week which is hardly enough for him to live on & not to mention wer'e are getting married and plan on having a family. Recently, his ex has purchased a home with a live-in boyfriend & has a new job grossing $600.00 a week. In there divorce decree they agreed to re-due thier child support after every tax season by thier gross income. She is contesting showing us proper documentation. We suspect she made twice the amount from last year. Do we have any rights at all. Also, in their decree he agreed to pay child support till his children graduate college. Is this the law? Can this be contested? And how?

Asked on 4/02/01, 2:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

Re: Child Support

If the ex-wife is not obeying the divorce decree, your fiance can bring a contempt to force her to comply. The law requires parents to support their children if they attend undergraduate college until age 23 if necessary.


Read more
Answered on 6/04/01, 9:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts