Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts


I am facing several problems that I need guidance.

I work for a property management company, and I live in one of the properties owned by the company.

I get payed 11 dollars an hour and . Pay $775 rent + $50 Security deposit.

First of all i took the property as it was, so what is the security deposit for?

My boss, who also my landlord, hold my checks for weeks and then only pays me enough for me to pay my rent.

They wanted me to do some cleaning on another property in order to be subsidized for my rent, but altho I do it, they keep telling me its not how they want it to be done.

They said they are going to increase my rent to $10 on march, my lease in only over in july.

I am scared to begin any legal action just to have it reflected on my work and directly on my paycheck.

Please help me!!!!

Asked on 2/08/15, 8:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

By Statute the Management company has to pay you at least every two-weeks in MA unless you are exempt employee, which means you need to make at least $450 per week in which case you must be paid at least monthly. If you are paid by the hour you are not an exempt employee. Assuming you have a lease and it does not provide for increases they cannot raise your rent until July.

They have the right to ask you to clean other properties as part of your compensation, but they cannot refuse to pay you if they do not think it is done properly. They have two choices, pay you and instruct you on they want it done or terminate you.

If you make a complaint about the withholding of your pay checks, do it in writing. More information is needed to properly advise you. One problem is that if you complain, they may terminate your employment. That would be a retaliatory dismissal and is actionable. However, I think you should meet with an attorney to determine your options and after providing more information to them.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/15, 9:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts