Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Massachusetts

I have a trust fund left by my mothers death in control of a trustee. I have the ability to request money, but when I sent my request she denied it. My request is for a car, so I can start working. Is there any way to get around her decision?

Asked on 4/04/11, 8:31 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

You need to request a copy of the trust. The trust itself may or may not dicate whether - at this point - the trustee is authorized to make a payment to you for the purchase of an automobile.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/11, 8:33 am
Alan Fanger Alan S. Fanger, Esq.

The terms of the trust will dictate whether the trustee is either obligated or has the discretion to pay for a car for you. In my experience quite often the trustee and the beneficiary simply run into an impediment that prevents them from being able to communicate effectively with one another. Where this is occurring, it is advisable to have an attorney intervene on your behalf, if only to "smooth out" the relationship. Unless there is some issue of personal animosity on the part of the trustee, he/she will probably want to be of help if the trust permits it. See my blog on estate and trust disputes on my web site at for details.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/11, 9:04 am
Stephanie Burnham Burnham & Associates, Attorneys at Law, PLLC

Reviewing the Trust Document is the best way to determine what rights you have as a beneficiary of the Trust. If the issue is more of a personal nature between you and the Trustee you may want to consider voluntary mediation before pursuing legal action. It is always beneficial for people who are linked by a Trust document to be communicating with each other rather than "ordered" to take action.

Read more
Answered on 4/19/11, 1:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Massachusetts