Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Michigan

My wife has Sallie Mae loans for schooling that she took. Since then she has had medical issues come up that prevent her from working. Therefore she has no way to make money to pay off these loans. Due to her circumstances is there any way to get out of paying these loans?

Asked on 7/22/09, 11:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kimberly Redd Redd Law, PLC

It is possible for student loans to be discharged due to hardship if a person will never be able to work. An issue will be whether she took out the student loans when she had the medical issue that's currently preventing her from working. If she has other debt and is interested in a bankruptcy, a request for a discharge of the student loans can be done in the bankruptcy court.

Read more
Answered on 7/28/09, 9:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Michigan