Legal Question in Business Law in Michigan

I junk for a living. I have a junk license in the city of Detroit. This is the way that I primarily earn my living. I do business under my name; not under a another name or business name. Must I have a DBA license as proof that I own a business or is the junk license issued to me in my name enough to prove that I own and operate my junk business? The reason I ask is because there are legal payment restrictions in the scrap industry that can only be bypassed if the business has a commercial account on file. I don't know if me working for myself collecting junk qualifies me as a commercial business. Can you explain what type of business I would be considered? Do I qualify as a commercial business? What proof or documents am I required to show as proof that I work for myself and do business under my own name?

Asked on 9/16/15, 7:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC

You can operate under a DBA and get that approved by the County. That might help you become "commercial" for those purposes. It still doesn't help with corporate protections, because that is reserved for a corp. You will still pay taxes on the business under your personal name.

Read more
Answered on 9/16/15, 7:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Michigan