Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Michigan

garnishment laws

If a debt was orginated while we reside in a state that does not allow garnishments (other than child supp. fed debts, etc.) and we relocate to a state that does, which state's laws apply? In the state where the debt was originated (and the creditor also is located) or where the debtor resides?

Asked on 3/08/06, 12:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rochelle Guznack Law Offices of Rochelle E. Guznack, PLLC

Re: garnishment laws

Sorry, it's where the debtor resides. If you are being garnished, you should file a motion for installment payments. It will allow you to go before a judge and explain why you cannot afford your necessary expenses to survive if 25% of your pay is garnished. You can then offer to make a payment you can afford.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/06, 6:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Michigan