Legal Question in DUI Law in Michigan

Received O.W.I in Michigan and plead not guilty. I got an extension for pre trial and was givin permission to leave the state to see family in Hawaii. Now I want to stay here and live with my family I have here and was wondering if they could tranfer my case and not fly back to Michigan because of the hassle.

Asked on 9/25/13, 7:21 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Brown Brown & Associates, Legal Services, PLLC

The short answer is no. If you are convicted, and as part of your sentence given probation, it's possible to transfer your probation oversight to another state but that decision is discretionary. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 9/25/13, 7:26 am

Charles Kronzek Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.

Your criminal case cannot be transferred. If you hire an experienced DUI attorney in Michigan, they MIGHT be able to work out a different plan with the prosecuting attorney. You can read more at:

Read more
Answered on 9/25/13, 7:57 am
Jared Austin Austin Legal Services, PLC

That is impossible because Hawaii nor any other state would have jurisdiction. You will have to have the matter resolved in Michigan. There is a chance you may be able to do a plea by mail with the court's permission, but even that is probably unlikely. If you do not return for any future court dates, you will have a bench warrant issued for your arrest.

Read more
Answered on 9/25/13, 4:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Michigan