Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan


I am moving out of state and have just

filed for an uncontested divorce. My

spouse and I have agreed on everything

and there are no children or property

disputes. Do I still have to appear in


Asked on 7/14/09, 6:02 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lesley Hoenig Lesley A. Hoenig, Attorney at Law

Re: Divorce

If you are the one that filed as the petitioner, yes you need to be at court unless your spouse filed a counter petition. You need to be there to ask the judge to grant your petition and testify as to the agreement.

Read more
Answered on 7/14/09, 6:08 pm
Guy Clark Clark Legal Services, PLC

Re: Divorce

Not necessarily. Only one person must testify on the record (in front of the judge). It can be either of you. A few things must be done ahead of time--procedural things--to keep from having to come back. I practice in Wayne County (Westland/Livonia area office) and handle these kinds of divorces routinely. If you need a little free advice to stay on track don't hesitate to call.. 734.673.6111 or [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 7/14/09, 8:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan