Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

My son is 17. Last weekend he decided to leave his fathers house and come to live with me. I live in Chicago, IL. His father has legal custody in the state of MI, Kent county. How can I get him enrolled in school, and how can I stop the child support that I have to pay to his father?

Not able to pay for a lawyer, so I need to know the easiest and cheapest way of doing this.

Thank you.

Asked on 1/19/10, 4:34 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

When dealing with serious medical issues, it is often a bad idea to shop for the cheapest way out. Legal issues are the same way.

If you are seriously ill, hire a fabulous doctor. When you need solid legal advice, hire a terrific attorney. Terrific attorneys are often not cheap attorneys.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/10, 5:28 pm
Stuart Collis Collis, Griffor & Hendra, PC

There always is legal aid if you truly cannot afford an attorney. Most people would find that many attorneys will work with folks to achieve results. However, it sounds like you need a Motion to Change Custody and/or to Terminate Child Support. No matter what you do, you're going to be spending time and money in the state of Michigan.

Read more
Answered on 1/25/10, 9:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan