Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

Where do I start...husband has volatile temper & I don't know what to do first.

I've been married over 2 decades. Fear has kept me from doing anything to this point He has an explosive temper and I never know what to expect. 2003 he moved out of our bedroom after over 20 years of nighttime fear. He would hit, push or kick me . I was always told it was due to him ''having bad dreams''. It was finally through an 'intervention' that he went to a different room...he did NOT do this willingly. This was not a daily occurrance...but produced daily fear. He says he loves me...I feel nothing but pity for him. My mind is made up about leaving and relocating, but I don't know where to start. I don't want to give the impression that he hits me any longer...he does's always an underlying 'something' I just cant put my finger on. He has major ''blow ups'' and fits of anger & rage. I'm scared most all the time that one day his anger will overtake him. I've been unemployed for about 18 months, and have had some significant medical issues. If he finds out that I've even looked into something like this I dont know what he'd would appreciate an email of your advice/help on WHERE to start without him finding out. Thank you so very much.

Asked on 1/28/05, 5:48 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Blake Lipman Law Office of Blake P. Lipman

Re: Where do I start...husband has volatile temper & I don't know what to do fir

If you truly fear for your safety/life, you need to leave the home before filing for divorce. A friend's home or a relative's home are sometimes the best and most comfortable option if they have the ability to keep you safe. A last resort is a woman's shelter. As for filing divorce, if you are emotionally ready, it will be the easy part. For more info, please contact my office at (248)851-3171.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/05, 10:19 am

Jesse Sweeney Sweeney Law Offices, P.L.L.C.

Find a woman's shelter

You should first find a woman's shelter or a place you can go where you know you will be safe. If you feel threatened at all, call the police, and seek a personal protection order. At that point, you can then either (a) contact a lawyer to assist you or (b) if you cannot afford a lawyer, call your local legal aid department. Good luck!!

Read more
Answered on 1/29/05, 9:50 pm
William Stern William Stern, P.C.

Re: Where do I start...husband has volatile temper & I don't know what to do fir

You need to talk to a good domestic/family law lawyer. Many, including myself, will not charge you for such an initial consulation. I can point out how you can take care of yourself duirng a divorce proceeding, how to get money for yourself during the proceeding and how you'll ulimately wind up. Most importantly however, don't waste your time unless you are ready and willing to take charge of your own life. If you are simply doing this with the knowledge deep down that you will never make the move, or if you do, you will call it off, then you should not fool yourself. If you are ready to be in charge of your own destiny, the legal system can work for you. William S. Stern 248-353-9400

Read more
Answered on 1/28/05, 10:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan