Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

I would like temporary custody of my 15 year old granddaughter in Michigan. Her mother is mentally abusive, unstable, and may be bipolar. Her father works long hours at night and during the day so he would not be around enough for her. He has given us permission to get temporary custody but her mother will not. How difficult would this be?

Asked on 8/10/13, 4:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Stern William Stern, P.C.

Very difficult. Grandparent visitation is difficult enough. that requires some action pending between the parents. However, transferring custody to a grandparent is impossible unless parental rights of the parents are terminated. Why not ask the mother to allow you a guardianship? That is much easier if the parents consent.

Read more
Answered on 8/11/13, 5:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan