Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Michigan

Can a person who used to stay in a home but left 2 days before, have a legal right to break into your home to retrieve items that belong to her sister who is also a part owner of the house?

I own a house which my son and his former fiance live in. Her name is on the mortage along with mine. She walked out on my son a few days ago and took his bedroom set (which they paid for together). Her sister was also staying upstairs for the summer and moved out with her. Today her sister broken through a window to get in while no one was home and took items that belonged to her sister. Does she have a right to enter my house without my permission? And how do I get her name off the mortage and title to the house?

Asked on 7/03/11, 5:45 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jules Fiani Law Offices of Jules N. Fiani

You ask an interesting series of questions. Call 810-227-7200 so I can help answer them.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/11, 5:48 pm

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC

The breaking should be reported to the police as a theft. The other matter is much tougher. If someone is on title to the home and on the mortgage, there has to be an agreement to leave and sign off the property, or court action will be necessary. Tim Klisz.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/11, 6:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Michigan