Legal Question in Business Law in Minnesota

I am the sole owner of this business.

I want to open a club where families will get together for tea/coffee and play board and card games. There is no gambling, alcohol or smoking. This club will be open only to active members and accessible 24/7 through remote mobile accessible door locks. The self-serve coffee is an honor system. The club will be unsupervised and unstaffed.

On weekends, I want to sell gourmet/handcrafted coffee at a premium price to the members.

Therefore, for the club I might have to register an LLC business with NAICS code 813410. As for the cafe, I would need another license with NAICS code 722513. Is this correct?

I have already registered "Home Tea Party LLC" with NAICS 722511. But I do not think I would need it.

Should I just add DBAs with NAICS codes 813410 and 722513. I would prefer to open one LLC and have DBAs for the two separate businesses. Need help!

Or do I "dissolve" the current business and register new businesses with codes 813410 and 722513.

Asked on 2/24/23, 11:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Your reliance on NAICS registration is misplaced. The NAICS System was developed for use by Federal Statistical Agencies for the collection, analysis and publication of statistical data related to the US Economy. Although knowing the appropriate codes may assist you in determining what licenses, permits and such you may need, it certainly shouldn't be your guiding light when starting and operating a business.

Please see:

Read more
Answered on 2/24/23, 4:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Minnesota