Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

I believe I was kidnapped and forced to have sex with an unwilling friend of mine under threat of death and violence about 10 years ago. This friend committed suicide shortly after the incident. The people who kidnapped me made a video recording of the act and made it appear as though I had made the recording myself although I think you can tell they are in the room while it was recorded. They had first kidnapped this friend of mine because he owed them money and he told them I was helping him sell the weed he fronted which was stolen so these gang members decided I was responsible as well. I had no involvement with my friend's weed dealings but he was hoping that I would call the police when they contacted me. I didn't believe these people when they contacted me online; I thought they were lying so I never called the police. I began recalling this about a year ago and I feel compelled to go to the police but I am terrified that I will end up being charged as a criminal. What should I do?

-Thank you for your time.

Asked on 11/19/18, 3:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense

That situation seems complex enough to at least warrant a phone call to a criminal defense lawyer to begin some dialogue, and map out a better understanding of the situation. Depending where it happened, the statute of limitations may make a difference, since in Minnesota it's shorter for drug crimes than for sex crimes.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/18, 7:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota