Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

I have a child from a previous relationship. The father of my child hasn't been involved in over 3 years. He is on the birth certificate ( and signed the R.O.P.) In the state in which she was born, MN, It states that any child born out of wedlock, the mother retains sole custody unless otherwise stated by the courts. and My husband is active duty Navy. So my question is, what do I need to prove, that my ex is unstable, and having him contact myself or our child is unhealthy and unsafe for her? The guy sent me MANY private messages on facebook, and to my family members, and I am very concerned about his behavior. I don't live in the state in which he resides. I am still a resident, being we are military though. What steps do I need to take, and what documentation is needed to protect our child and myself from my ex? Thanks

Asked on 7/10/13, 6:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. You should contact an attorney licensed in the state in which you are physicially present, and the attorney will help you with this. You should view the matter as a legal emergency in seeking help. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best. TRICIA DWYER, ESQ., MINNESOTA Licensed Attorney, Phone 612-296-9666 365 days of the year, FAMILY LAW, ORDER FOR PROTECTION - HARASSMENT LAW, CHILD CUSTODY LAW, CHILD SUPPORT LAW, CRIMINAL LAW

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 8:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota