Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Minnesota

could criminal charges be brought?

My question has a couple parts to it.

in 2004 I was enting an apartment in Minneapolis, I wanted to get out of it so I subleased (illegally) to a man that paid me in full for the remainder of 2004 (3 months) and for the entire year of 2005. I originally only wanted to sublease for the 3 months in 2004.

anyway Oct 2005 I told him I wanted my name off the lease so he was going to have to put it in his name.

he proposed leaving it in my name and paid an additional 3 months to the rental company. basically he paid for Jan Feb and March 06 (my lease was to end march 31st), I still have those months that he prepaid me for origianlly to go towards April May and June. well we ended up having him take over the lease (legally) so now my name is off it completely. I still owe him and or the mortgage company 3 months. I have come into some hard times and dont have the entire 3 months to pay back right now. I told him I can send him money monthly (amounts and dates yet determined) until I can pay him off completely. He is threatening to file charges of fraud and get authorties involved. I have no way of coming up with all the money now.

the only way he can contact me is by cell he knows nothing else about me. im not trying to duck out!

Asked on 5/07/06, 2:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Anderson Anderson Business Law LLC

Re: could criminal charges be brought?

Did you have a written agreement?

Very unlikely criminal charges would be brought, without demonstration of misrepresentation.

Call or e=mail for further assistance.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/06, 6:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Minnesota