Legal Question in Insurance Law in Minnesota

Fast ex-husband cheats wife out of insurance.

I have a friend that lives in Minnesota and has been divorced for three years. After she was divorced, her ex-husband received a number of speeding tickets. My friend was unaware of these tickets, or the fact that her ex-husband still had the address of the home that they shared on his driver's license, until just recently when she tried to switch auto insurance. Now she's being told that the insurance is rated on her home address, and because there are so many tickets on her address, she can't get insurance. What can she do?

Asked on 4/30/02, 3:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Steven Murray Steven W. Murray, APC

Re: Fast ex-husband cheats wife out of insurance.

Have her get a good and intelligent insurance broker. Give him a copy of the divorce decree and get some proof that the ex lived at a different address in fact. The broker will know how to contact the underwriter at the particular insurer to "clear up" the lady's application. This is a variant form of "identity theft" and if the underwriter understands that, there should be no problem.

You might also want the lady to contact Equifax and TRW to make sure her credit record remains untouched by the ex.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/02, 4:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Minnesota