Legal Question in Traffic Law in Minnesota

My husband was pulled over this morning by approximately 5 police officers because they got a call from a citizen wanting to place my husband under citizens arrest. Their reason was that he was supposedly going 110 mp in a 45 mph zone. He was not going nearly that fast and the police never "clocked" him as going over the speed limit. He was told that the person asking for the citizens arrest would be contacted and asked if he wishes to pursue this. If he does pursue it, is there any way to defend against this?

Asked on 2/13/15, 12:20 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Samuel Edmunds Sieben Edmunds Miller PLLC

Absolutely. Your husband will want to hire a traffic lawyer to defend him in court. Hopefully the police and the prosecutor will make the right decision and not bring charges. But, if they do, then he needs an attorney to defend him and help show that "citizens" shouldn't be able to prove speeding charges beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law. Feel free to have him give me a call to discuss options.


[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 2/13/15, 12:25 pm
Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Yes, there are potential defenses. I urge your spouse confer with an experienced attorney at this time. Attorneys are not to solicit clients pursuant to state rules of conduct for licensed practitioners. Tricia Dwyer Esq ph 612-296-9666 Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC Minnesota Traffic Law - Criminal Law Attorneys

Read more
Answered on 2/13/15, 2:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Minnesota