Legal Question in Family Law in Mississippi

"If a woman is married in the Philippines, can she still marry in the US, or can she get the marriage annulled in the US so she can marry a US citizen? Does the US recognize the foreign marriage?"

Asked on 7/03/13, 10:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Matusheski Law Offices of Timothy J. Matusheski

In general, unless the marriage breaks U.S. state laws, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. Inquiries regarding the validity of a marriage abroad should be directed to the attorney general of the state in the United States where the parties to the marriage live.

Read more
Answered on 7/04/13, 3:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Mississippi