Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

i was caught shoplifting from Claire's. it is my first offense, a one time thing, but i was wondering what to expect as punishment in court as i am 17 and thus a legal adult in Missouri. i stole a ring that was priced at $6.50,

Asked on 10/19/09, 9:15 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Harvath Harvath Law Offices-INJURY case representation

Hi. The potential sentences, if convicted of a stealing charge, vary somewhat, depending on the circumstances of the incident, where the incident occurred, and whether you have any prior criminal charges or convictions. Where did the incident occur (what county of Missouri)? You could be looking at a large fine, community service, or potential jail time, if you are convicted of the charge. One of the biggest issues with a stealing charge is that, if it goes on your permanent record, any future employer can see it, and it can have negative implications for obtaining employment in the future. An attorney would very likely be able to negotiate with the local prosecutor and enter into some type of guilty plea arrangement where you would agree to be found guilty, but of a lesser charge (such as littering), that would not affect your ability to obtain employment in the future. This would prevent the potential punishments that can go along with a stealing conviction, and also keep a stealing conviction off of your permanent record. I am a Missouri attorney that handles criminal defense issues. I hope this helps. You can reach me by e-mail at [email protected] Thanks.

NOTE: This answer is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege between the user and the attorney responding.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/09, 1:22 am
Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

You should call an attorney. For a very reasonable fee, an attorney should be able to help you avoid getting a conviction on your record for this offense. If you are in the Eastern part of the state, I may be able to help you myself. You should feel free to call me for a consultation at no charge.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/09, 11:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri