Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

I have a warrant for a felony (forgery) in another county.

Can I turn myself in to the sheriff in my county, or do I have to drive to the county where the case is?

Also. Do I have to pay the full amount of the bond, or can I pay 10%. How do I know if I need to pay the full amount, 10% cash, or get a bondsman?


Asked on 2/01/12, 1:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sean Santoro Santoro Law Office

I'm glad you're being proactive here, as it is always better to deal with warrants on your own time rather than waiting for the law to catch up. Unless you want to sit in jail for awhile, you do NOT want to surrender at your home county; you want to surrender in the county where the offense allegedly occurred. As to the bond, this is one of those areas where it would be to your advantage to have a lawyer retained before surrender. A lawyer can ease the process by being in touch with the bondsmen, Court, DA, and Sheriffs Office, so that you can be processed quickly. Also, a lawyer is much more likely to be able to convince a judge to lower your bond, or even possibly get you a signature (release on recognizance, or ROR) bond without putting up any money.

Feel free to contact me if you need additional information.

Sean Santoro/Licensed in MO and KS

Read more
Answered on 2/02/12, 11:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri