Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

My FiancÚ moved several miles from his current residence into mine, along with his 5 year old son. He did not remove the child from the state, he did not change the parental/custodial agreement in any way, and we have sent the new address to his ex-wife. She is now threatening to take us to court over this short distance move. claiming we were in contempt of court? Is this true?? Did we inadvertently do something wrong??

Asked on 5/17/13, 11:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

There is a statute that governs relocating with a minor child. It requires a specific notice to be sent by the parent intending to move to the other parent and providing for that parent to file an onjection in court. The statute allows the court to consider a violation in modifying custody terms. Your question implies that there is a custody order in place, and so the relocation statute was probably violated.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/13, 5:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri