Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

I filed for a child custody modification back in November without an attorney. My ex husband responded with an attorney. I am wanting to know if I can file counter papers to what he has now asked for?

Asked on 12/27/10, 7:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

If you want to continue to represent yourself, you will be held to the same standards that an attorney would be. So, you will need to research the law including all of the pertinent statutes, cases, rules of civil procedure and local court rules in the jurisdiction where your case is pending. Personally, I think that it is quite unfair for one side to be represented by an attorney who has completed law school, passed the bar exam, and gained experience from the practice of law in the field of law your are concerned with and in the courts in which your case is pending, while the other side is unrepresented. Quite simply, you should hire an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 1/02/11, 4:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri