Legal Question in Personal Injury in Missouri

Can I sue the police for not returning my 16 year old runaway son. They have know who has been harboring him, and have just not done so! Even though they have known he has been in a group abusing drugs and alcohol. He was just the other day taken by 2 adult (meth heads) at gunpoint! assuaulted, savagely beaten (had his teeth kicked out) requiring dental surgery! and robbed! And they still have not picked him up and returned him to me him legal guardian so I can get him in some sort of treatment!!!! Can I sue them!!! This is all taken place in rural Missouri.

Asked on 8/06/10, 8:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Under teh facts you describe, there appears to be no tort claims that you could bring agaisn tany specific officers, unless you are doing so on behalf of your Son. If you are the parent, then you can Petition the Probate Court for an order taking your Son into the Court's custody, which coudl result in him being returned to you. It appears that his present situation is not good for him, and he has opted not to return home. This may persuade the Court to issue an Ordr for officers or deputies to take him into custody for observation.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 8/11/10, 11:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Missouri