Legal Question in Construction Law in Nebraska


My crew made gutter on site but did not install, and sold additional materials to another contractor ti install on our local McDonald's. There was no written contract. He did not pay. I cannot reach him, and word is he went under. Can I file a construction lien on the property where the items were installed?

The bill is only $275.00 so can't justify lots of legal fees to collect.

If yes how and where do I file this lien. Is it good until I get paid or does it become invalid at some point?

Asked on 5/14/07, 5:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Duke Drouillard Drouillard Law, LLC

Re: lien

Yes, you may file a lien against the property without using an attorney, but it is probably an unnecessary expense to you. Have you discussed it with the owner of the McDonald's? If you can provide him with receipts for the materials and work completed, he might pay all or part of it without any problem. You should also consider using the small claims court to present your claim if he refuses to pay.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/07, 6:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Nebraska