Legal Question in DUI Law in Nebraska

pregnancy accomodation

Hello. I am 25 weeks pregnant with twins, considered a ''high risk'' pregnancy. However, things have gone well and I have been allowed by my doctor to keep my current teaching position (an 8 hour work day). Next week my principal wants to require me to attend an event after school that would extend my day to 11 hours. This is a funny part of my contract because it says ''8 hour work day and any other duties as assigned by principal.'' This is meant for things like Back to School night, etc. My doctor doesn't think it is wise (and neither do I) for me to be working an 11 hour day. When I explained this to my principal, even though I have a note from the doctor, he says I still have to be there. Do I? This is an event for the 8th grade (I teach 4th) whom I have never taught before and don't even know their names. It seems like it would be very easy to make an accomodation for me, say, allow me to send the kids donuts or something to make up for my absence at their ''big day.'' Am I within my rights to say, ''My doctor says I am restricted to an 8 hour work day. This is a temporary condition and you need to make an accomodation for me.'' P.S- I don't qualify under FMLA because I haven't worked a year at this school yet.

Asked on 5/14/07, 4:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Duke Drouillard Drouillard Law, LLC

Re: pregnancy accomodation

You entered your question under the drunk driving/dui category. I would consult with an employment law attorney and bring a copy of your contract to get an accurate assessment of your situation. On a common sense basis though, your life and welfare, together with that of your child, is worth more than any job. If an attorney, or your principal's supervisor, thwart the principal's demand that you attend the evening ceremony; it may create a difficult working relationship between you and the principal. Rather than create a conflict, would it be feasible for you to call in sick for that school day and then attend the ceremony that evening as he requested? Otherwise, you need to re-submit your question under the proper category or consult with a lawyer who practices employment law.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/07, 4:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Nebraska