Legal Question in Elder Law in Nebraska

how to change power of attorney

i have a friend whose mother, age 93, would like to change power of attorney from the oldest daughter, who now has p.o.a., to the youngest. the mother has full mental capacity and is very sharp and with it. the youngest daughter is more than willing to be her mothers p.o.a. what does the mother have to do to change her p.o.a.? i am writing for my friend who does not use a computer, and will convey to her any information you can give me. thank you.

Asked on 8/17/08, 1:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Duke Drouillard Drouillard Law, LLC

Re: how to change power of attorney

Your mother needs to provide notice to oldest daughter and anyone else who is relying on the current POA that she has revoked the POA. This should be done in writing by a certified letter. Any entity relying on the previous POA, i.e. bank, service provider, etc., must also be notified she has revoked the POA. Any lawyer can draft a new POA for your mother appointing youngest daughter as her agent.

Read more
Answered on 8/18/08, 11:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Nebraska