Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Nebraska

estate law

i purchased my brothers building 2months befor his death . now the eatate att. saws its part of the estate ,and wants to charge for it . I say it was purchased befou and is not part of the estate

Asked on 1/12/08, 3:08 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Duke Drouillard Drouillard Law, LLC

Re: estate law

Transactions that are completed shortly before death may be reviewed and undone by the court. The premise is that something may have been done in contemplation of death to avoid normal probate procedure. For example, if a man who knew he was dying became angry with his wife and sold a piece of property worth $500K to his brother for $1 just to keep her from inheriting any part of it; the court would probably undo the transaction. The idea is the wife is entitled to one half of the estate and that can't be avoided other than by divorce. A quick sale to a family member for far less than value is not a legal substitute for divorce. There are a number of other examples where this might come up. You will need to hire a lawyer if you are interested in keeping the property.

Read more
Answered on 1/12/08, 3:37 pm
John Steele Steele Law Firm

Re: estate law

you just have to show the court who is handling the estate, (assuming that the executor is being stupid and difficult to deal with)

Read more
Answered on 1/12/08, 5:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Nebraska