Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

Hi! I was wondering if you could help me. My situation is: My son's father and I are not married and have decided to split up. We have decided on a custody agreement and child support. I went on the self help website to get papers printed and filled out. However as I am reading, it looks like there is no way for us to fill out papers and both sign that this is what we agree to without having to file a complaint and an answer. Is this correct?

Asked on 2/19/18, 8:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marshal Willick Willick Law Group

You are correct. The legislature added a "joint petition" process for termination of a marriage, but there is no corresponding procedural mechanism in paternity (which is where unmarried parents are), so yes, someone has to file a Complaint for Custody (or Paternity), and the other needs to file an Answer. It still can be completely uncontested. If you have questions as to what forms are available, you can direct those questions to the self-help center.

Read more
Answered on 2/20/18, 7:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada