Legal Question in Family Law in New Hampshire

about to file for divorce. left my home and moved in with my parents./ i'm in New Hampshire now, but my husband and I lived in Texas together. Which state do I need to get an attorney from to start a divorce if he's still in Texas?

Asked on 7/12/13, 6:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bruce L. Dorner Dorner Law Office

As a general rule, you need to live in NH for at least one year before you can bring the case to a NH court, assuming he remains in Texas. I'm assuming that you lived in Texas with him for a significant period of time. Therefore, it is more likely that Texas would be the proper jurisdiction. If any of the details change, the answer might be different.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/13, 7:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Hampshire