Legal Question in Family Law in New Hampshire

My son who currently lives in Colorado would like to take his 6 month old daughter home to NH. Mother has given him a hand written notice of full custody, as long as she is not denied visitation. She only visits once every 2 weeks so far. She dated and signed this paper (which is not notorized). Can he come home without any legal complications? He is having difficulty making ends meet, at age 22 he could use the support his family will offer. I have a childcare center in my home (here in NH) and would be able to watch the baby while he works to get back on his feet. I was hoping with the benefit of council to represent him if any problems arise, beforehand, would negate him having to go to family court in Colorado.

Asked on 12/28/12, 8:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bruce L. Dorner Dorner Law Office

The issue of multi-state child care issues can be quite complex. First, are the parents married? If so, have the filed for or obtained a divorce? Are there any child care orders in place from the court?

If both parents are in agreement, there is the possibiilty that you may be able to file a joint parenting petittion with the New Hampshire Court as long as both parents are in full agreement and at least one parent and the child are resident in New Hampshire.

The answer to your question will depend upon specific details. This is only a "mabye it will work" until all the details are explored. It would be best to meet with an attorney to review all of the family situation and needs to more fully determine the best way for both parties to be the best parents possible for their daughter.

Read more
Answered on 12/29/12, 9:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Hampshire