Legal Question in Business Law in New Jersey

father daughter business agreement goes bad!!!

My father went to jail for aggrevated sexual contact, and I was made half owner, and I was to run the business. After he was out, and there was no need for me anymore, I was told that ''he was ultimately the owner... you were just an owner on paper.'' The last time I recieved any compensation from the business was December 13, 2007. In January 08, I found out that my father had also malested a friend of mine on a family vacation; when we were 15, and in march I found out that he also malested my 2 cousins when they were 15(now they are both in their 40's)... one of which I was in the crib a few feet away from her. I have been trying to get out of the business agreement(which was verbal... except when my name had to be legally attched to it) since January after I found out about my friend. My parents had sent me a dissolution request after they had taken my name off of the business checking account- without me even knowing about it until I went to log into the account. I inturn sent them a discontinuance form, since the business name is ''Mike & Daughter Painting'', I feel it's false advertising. They will not sign it and just want me to sign the dissolution form. I want my association completely cut from the business. Please help me.

Asked on 7/22/08, 4:07 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

Re: father daughter business agreement goes bad!!!

What a nightmare. I am sorry that your father is such a horrible human being.

To the issues you asked about: you clearly need an attorney to help you get out of the mess that your father has caused you, after you get a clear understanding of what your rights are in this matter.

You also need to understand what your possible liabilities are. From your question, I see possible claims against YOU personally for: unhappy customers (you do not know all of the problems that MIGHT exist), vendors who want to get paid, taxes owed, and possibly claims by workers for back wages. I have no way to know whether any of these exist, but these issues and a whole lot more issues, need to be looked at.

You need protection from any further problems. And you need to know what your rights are.

Please contact an experienced local attorney who handles small businesses. I do.

Please call my office if you would like my assistance. I can speak to you on the telephone, but it will take more than just a brief telephone call to assist you with these issues.

My contact information can be obtained from the links below, just click on the Attorney Profile link. Let my secretary know you found me through LawGuru. This website, LawGuru, will NOT let me list my phone number in this response.

Disclaimer: Your question and any response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship between you and this law firm. You can not rely on the statements made by an attorney given over the internet. The response that you have received is based only on the small amount of information which you have provided. The exact facts of your situation, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the result for your situation.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/08, 3:08 pm
Barry Kozyra Kozyra & Hartz, LLC

Re: father daughter business agreement goes bad!!!

You need to discuss your legal rights and possible compensation issues with a lawyer as soon as possible.

You may be exposed to liability for business activities (taxes, etc.) at least for the time while you were there and possibly more. There are other obligations as well which need to be discussed so you can extricate yourself from the business without future problems.

Disclaimer: Your question and any response given are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The response given is not intended to be relied upon by you or anyone else as it is based only on the limited information which you have provided. Other information is needed before advice can be given including facts which you have not supplied which may change the response to your question. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to assess your legal rights so as not to prejudice yourself.

Read more
Answered on 7/22/08, 5:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in New Jersey