Legal Question in Consumer Law in New Jersey

EZ pass violations

I have received a collection notice regarding unpaid tolls. The violations were supposedly on June 2004. The unpaid tolls total $9.80 the agency wants $2,314.65. I am now and have always been a customer in good standing . What can I do to get this off my credit. I am willing to pay original tolls but they want whole amount.

Asked on 10/12/07, 3:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

Re: EZ pass violations

Assuming that you are sure that EZPass never made a demand on you before, pay them $11.31 = $9.80 + $0.51 + $1.00. The 51 cents is interest for 1.3 years at the maximum judicial rate during the period. The $1.00 is a lawyer's device that I will explain later if it is necessary. Don't mark your check "pair in full" or anything like that. If they persist, send them a note stating that they have been overpaid and you don't want to hear from them further. This may not solve your problam but it puts you in an excellent position to defend any claims.

[In case there are others reading this answer, the above strategy may be inadvisable for debts which are near or beyond the four or six year limitations period.]

See also:

Read more
Answered on 10/12/07, 4:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in New Jersey