Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New Jersey

I found out I have a warrant for my arrest over an old judgment over a debt. The courthouse clerk said that once a judgment is won, the creditors can come after you for 20 years? What is that all about? Isn't the statue of limitation on credit debt only 6 years? If I file bankruptcy will that stop all of this and stop the warrant from being enforced>

Asked on 9/18/13, 6:44 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jignesh Shah Law Office of Jignesh J. Shah, LLC

Statute of limitation is the time within which a lawsuit must be filed. Once you timely file a lawsuit, the judgment remains enforceable for much longer than the initial 6 year period. Whether the judgment can be discharged in bankruptcy depends on the nature of the lawsuit. I help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy code. You can call me for a consultation.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/13, 5:54 am
Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

You need to talk to a lawyer to deal with this. Arrest warrant? That is really unusual.

Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the first office visit.

I know people worry about how expensive a lawyer is, so I am careful to be as inexpensive as I can for my clients. Before you spend a dime, you will know how much this is likely to be.

Robert Davies, Esq. 201-820-3460

The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

45 Essex Street, Suite 3 West

Hackensack New Jersey 07601

Phone: 201-820-3459

Fax: 201-820-3461

Email: [email protected]


For more information on family law and divorce, see my website:

Please keep in mind that my response is just a general comment on your question, and not legal advice. Your question and any response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship between you and this law firm. The exact details of your situation and things that you have not mentioned in your question can completely change the response I gave. You can not rely upon what I have written, because I do not have all of the information that I need to advise you, I only have the very small amount of information that you put into your question. To get legal advice that you can rely on and use, please contact me directly. I would be happy to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/13, 11:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New Jersey