Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New Jersey

a plumber is trying to sue me (no suit has yet been filed) for 16k .... stating that I did not finish paying him for his work during 2006-2008. The job was a full house remodel and radiant heat so it was quite expensive. The truth is that I paid him over $30k for the time he was there. He kept telling me he wold come to finish but never came. I finally fired him and told him we were all paid up for work he had done till that point. I had to hire another plumber to finish the remodel and had to pay him. Can he sue me at this point. The lawyer is a debt collector lawyer from Louisiana???? I have spoken to this lawyer and he wants me to show him my notes and paid checks and contract .. should I or should I just ignore him or hire myself a lawyer?

Asked on 2/06/17, 7:15 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

I strongly suggest you hire a lawyer. While I'd be happy to help you, I'm not telling you this so that you hire this firm. But you should hire someone. These collection agencies can ruin your credit. Hiring a lawyer to fight back against them may not cost much money at all. Call me at 1-855-9-JEFLAW to discuss how I can help you.

Read more
Answered on 2/06/17, 8:38 am
John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

I agree with Mr. Henninger that you should engage a lawyer to help you. You have both real and procedural defenses to this claim that can be lost if you are not careful in responding to collectors.

Read carefully

See also:

Read more
Answered on 2/06/17, 9:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New Jersey